IIT Madras Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) 2020
IIT HSEE 2020 Notification: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has invited applications for admission to the five-year Integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) Program conducted with an interdisciplinary perspective by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, during the 2020 academic year through Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) 2020.
About IIT Madras HSEE 2020
- HSEE (Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination) is for admission to the five-year integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) Program at IIT Madras for admission in Integrated MA
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras is an institute of national importance which offers quality education in Humanities, Sciences, Engineering, Management and Technology at UG / PG level
- The Program draws its strength from the unique mix of streams
IIT Madras Courses Offered
- HSEE 2020 for admission into the two following courses:
- Integrated M.A. in Development Studies
- Integrated M.A. in English Studies
IIT HSEE 2020 Important Dates
- Online Application and Payment of Exam Fee: 11th December 2019
- Payment Option A: Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card – Starts: 11th December 2019
- Payment Option B: Indian Bank Challan – Starts: 11th December 2019
- Last Date for Submission of Online Application:
- for payment made by Option A – Ends: 22nd January 2020
- for payment made by Option B (step -2 must have been completed by January 22nd, 2020) – Ends 2): 23rd January 2020
- Application Status can be checked from the HSEE website by Applicants – Starts: 17th February 2020
- Application Status can be checked from the HSEE website by Applicants – Ends: 06th March 2020
- Admit Card can be downloaded from the HSEE Website by Applicants – Starts: 18th March 2020
- Admit card can be downloaded from the HSEE Website by Applicants – Ends: 19th April 2020
- HSEE 2020 Exam Date: 19th April 2020
- Declaration of Result on HSEE Website: 15th May 2020
- Offer letter can be downloaded from the HSEE website by Successful Applicants – Starts 16th May 2020
- Admission is solely through the Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE).
- The program has a total of 52 seats; each stream will have 26 seats. Allocations of seats to individual streams will be made based on the academic performance of students (CGPA) during the first three semesters, students’ preferences, and availability of seats under each discipline.
IIT HSEE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Applicants applying for HSEE 2020 must have passed any one of the following qualifying examinations for the first time in 2019 or should be appearing in 2020
- The final exam of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org)
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University Exam conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities
- The final exam of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy; senior secondary school exam conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects
- Any Public School, Board or University Exam in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU)
- HSC vocational examination
- General Certificate Education (GCE) exam (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level
- High School Certificate Exam of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva
- Applicants who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) exam outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian.
- In case the Class XII exam is not a public exam, the applicant must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) exam earlier.
- Applicants who are NOT citizens of India at the time of registering for HSEE 2020 (by birth or naturalized) are treated as foreign nationals
- Percentage of Marks in QE: Applicants belonging to the GEN Category & OBC Category must secure a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate in the QE. Applicants belonging to SC/ST & PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% in aggregate in the QE
- Date of Birth: Applicant, whose date of birth falls on or after 01st October 1995, is eligible for HSEE-2020; however, in the case of SC/ST & PwD applicants, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., applicants belonging to these categories/ sub-categories born on or after 01st October 1990 are eligible
- Physical Fitness: Every qualified applicant will have to submit a Physical Fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed format that will be made available along with the letter of offer of admission
Reservation of Seats
- Indian nationals belonging to certain categories are admitted under the seats reserved for them in accordance with the rules of the Govt. of India. The categories and the extent of reservation are as follows:
- OBC belonging to Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL) – 27% seats
- SC – 15% Seats
- ST – 15% Seats
- PwD – 03% Seats
IIT HSEE Exam Pattern 2020
- Type of Question Paper: HSEE 2020 exam is of three hours duration and has two parts. Part I consists of objective type multiple-choice questions for 2½ hours duration (150 minutes), administered through the computer. Part II involves essay writing for 30 minutes to be written on the answer sheet distributed to the applicants at the end of Part I
- Part I covers the following topics: (i) English and Comprehension Skill; (ii) Analytical and Quantitative Ability; (iii) General Studies covering the areas of India Economics and (iv) Environment and Ecology)
- Part II requires the applicants to write an essay on the general topic involving description, or/and reflection or/and discussion
- Language of Questions Paper: English
- Items Prohibited in the Exam Hall: Electronic devices like mobile phone, calculator, iPod, iPad, and headphones, etc. are NOT PERMITTED in the exam hall. Further, items such as log table, abacus, slide rule, textbooks, notebooks, and geometry box, etc. and any other means of calculation are also strictly prohibited in the exam hall
HSEE 2020 Exam Cities
- The Entrance Examination will be conducted in the following 16 cities – Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Coimbatore, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jammu, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, New Delhi, Patna and Thiruvananthapuram
- An applicant has to give two choices for the exam center. Every attempt will be made to allot the center of his/her first choice. In extreme cases, the applicant may be allotted the center/city of his/her second choice
HSEE 2020 Admit Card
- After successful registration and payment of required fee either through the bank challan or through net- banking/credit-card/debit-card, the applicants can download their admit card for HSEE-2020 from 18th March 2020 (10.00 AM) onwards till 19th April 2020 (09.00 AM) from the HSEE-2020 website.
- The admit card will bear the name, photograph, date of birth, address and category of the applicant along with the name and the address of the exam center allotted.
- The applicant should carefully examine the admit card for all the entries made therein. In case of any discrepancy, the applicant should inform the Chairman, HSEE-2020, immediately by phone/ email/ fax.
Merit List / Ranking
- The rank list will be prepared based on the aggregate marks obtained in HSEE 2020.
- A common rank list made up of applicants who score at least 50% in HSEE-2020 will be Separate rank lists will be prepared corresponding to GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST, and PwD categories.
- Applicants belonging to GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL category must score at least 45% in HSEE-2020 in order to be in the respective rank list. Applicants belonging to SC and ST categories must score at least 25% in HSEE-2020 in order to be in their respective rank lists.
IIT HSEE Application Form 2020
Application for HSEE 2020 is only through online mode. The procedure is given below.
- Log on to the site https://hsee.iitm.ac.in and select from the menu “Apply Online” and follow the instructions on the site. Enter all the data as per the instructions. The site will prompt to save the data on the system when necessary.
Upload Scanned (a) Photograph, (b) Signatures & (c) Supporting Documents:
- Photograph: The scanned image of the photograph should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the photo image must be greater than 15 kb and less than 40 kb and the dimension of the photo image should be 3.5 cm (width) x 4.5cm (height) only
- Signatures: The scanned images of the signature should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the signature image must be greater than 10 kb and less than 30 kb and the dimension of the signature image should be 3.5 cm (length) x 1.5 (height) only
- Supporting Documents: Scanned images of 10th Certificate/10+2 certificate (if available)/Date of Birth Certificate/OBC-NCL-Undertaking/SC/ST/PwD category certificate (if applicable) should be in jpg/jpeg format only. After successfully entering the data, click the ‘finalize’ button. After this, the details cannot be edited
- Applicants must pay the exam fee as applicable is through Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card/Indian Bank challan that will be generated during the process of application
- The exam fee for SC, ST, PwD applicants is Rs.1200/- and for all other applicants, it is Rs.2400/-
- Additionally, the service charges of the Bank will be Rs.40/-
- Payment by Indian Bank e-challan: A bank challan of the Indian Bank will be generated during the online process of application. The applicant has to go to any branch of the Indian Bank along with a printed challan and pay the fee. The applicant must verify that the application numbers on both the copies of the challans are the same as that in the application.
Payment by Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card
- The applicant has to select the option to pay the application fee and follow the online instructions to complete the payment. After successful payment, the applicant will be able to print the acknowledgment page
- Read the instructions carefully before filling the application form. The application form must be complete in all respects. Incomplete application or application with incorrect information is liable for rejection
- All applications are to be made through online mode Visit: https://hsee.iitm.ac.in
Instructions for Filling up the HSEE 2020 Application Form
- Read the instructions carefully before filling the application form. The application form must be complete in all respects. Incomplete application or application with incorrect information is liable for rejection.
- Name of the Applicant: Enter the name in capital letters as given in the High School (10th standard) certificate. Leave one and only one blank box between consecutive words of the name. If the name has several initials, leave one blank after each of them.
- Do not put a “dot” after the initials.
- Category: Choose category GE, GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC or ST from the drop-down menu. The category once declared cannot be changed at a later date. If an applicant fails to produce the necessary certificate, he/she will be considered as a general category (GE) applicant.
Persons with Disabilities (PwD): If you are a person with disabilities, i.e., you have SEVERE dyslexia or at least 40% impairment irrespective of the type of disability i.e., locomotor, visual (leprosy-cured applicants are also included in this subcategory), choose YES from the drop-down menu. Otherwise, choose NO.