Fulbright Nehru Fellowship Program for Indian Citizens 2023-2024
Fulbright Nehru Master’s Fellowships 2023 – USIEF has been announce Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships and other opportunities for the academic year 2023-2024.
About the Fellowship
- The Fulbright Nehru Master’s Fellowships are designed for outstanding Indians to pursue a master’s degree program at select U.S. colleges and universities in the areas of Arts and Culture Management including Heritage Conservation and Museum Studies; Economics; Environmental Science/Studies; Higher Education Administration; International Affairs; International Legal Studies; Public Administration; Public Health; Urban and Regional Planning; and Women’s Studies/Gender Studies.
Also See: Swami Vivekananda MCM Scholarship
Fulbright Nehru Masters Fellowships 2023 Important Dates
|Application Deadline||May 16, 2022, 23:59:59 hrs (IST)|
|Application due date for 2023-2024 awards||May 16, 2022|
|Field-specific experts review applications||End June 2022|
|USIEF informs the applicants about the review outcome||End July 2022|
|National interviews of short-listed candidates||End August 2022|
|USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees. Nominees take tests (such as TOEFL and GRE)||Early September 2022|
|USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement||October 2022|
|USIEF notifies finalists||March/April 2023|
|Pre-Departure Orientation||May/June 2023|
|Pre-academic training in the U.S. (if required)||July/August 2023|
|Degree program begins||August/September 2023|
- The fellowship will provide the following benefits:
- J-1 visa support;
- Round-trip economy class air travel from fellow’s home city to the host institution in the U.S
- Funding for tuition and fees*, living and related costs; and
- Accident and sickness coverage per U.S. Government guidelines
Eligibility for Fulbright Nehru Masters Fellowships 2023
- In addition to the General Prerequisites, the applicants should:
- Must have completed an equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a recognized Indian university with at least 55% marks. Applicants must either possess a four-year bachelor’s degree; or a completed master’s degree, or a full-time postgraduate diploma from a recognized Indian institution, if the bachelor’s degree is of less than four years’ duration;
- Must have at least three years’ full-time (paid) professional work experience relevant to the proposed field of study by the application deadline;
- Should demonstrate experience in leadership and community service;
- Must not have another degree from a U.S. university or be enrolled in a U.S. degree program; and
- If employed, should follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FN Masters Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period.
Also See: Mahindra All India Talent Scholarships
Eligible Fields of Study
- Arts and Culture Management including Heritage Conservation and Museum Studies
- Environmental Science/Studies
- Higher Education Administration
- International Affairs
- International Legal Studies
- Public Administration
- Public Health
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Women’s Studies/Gender Studies
Fulbright Nehru Masters Fellowships 2023 Application Process
How to Apply?
- Applications must be submitted online at: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2023
- Please carefully review the FN Master’s Applicant Instructions before starting your online application
- Please refer to FN Master’s Applicant Checklist before submitting the application
- In addition, you must complete and upload the following documents on your online application:
- FN Master’s Applicant Annexure
- FN Master’s Employer’s Endorsement Form (if applicable)
FAQs – Fellowships for Indian Citizens 2023-2024
Question 1: How and when do we get information on Fulbright-Nehru and other Fulbright fellowships?
Answer: Announcements inviting applications for Fulbright-Nehru, Fulbright-Kalam and other Fulbright Fellowships happen in January/ February every year. Please visit USIEF website www.usief.org.in for complete details.
Question 2: How many letters of reference/recommendation do I need to submit?
Answer: Depending on the grant category, applicants are advised to request two to three referees to send in their recommendations or complete those online by the application due date. Please read the applicant instructions.
Question 3: How long does the review process take?
Answer: The review process takes three to four months after the application deadline. For the Timeline and Placement process.
Question 4: If selected, when can I begin my fellowship in the U.S.?
Answer: For the 2022-2023 cycle, most Fulbright fellows will begin their grants in August/September 2022. Depending upon the fellowship category, some fellows could begin in January 2023. 2022-2023 Fulbright-Nehru fellows have to come into grant status no later than May 31, 2023
Question 5: Who is eligible to apply for the Fulbright-Nehru and Fulbright Fellowships?
Answer: Please see the eligibility criteria listed with respect to each grant category in addition to the General Prerequisites.
Question 6: Can I avail of a Fulbright-Nehru or Fulbright Fellowship for a project that I want to work on in India?
Answer: No. These grants are offered for study, research, teaching or professional development in the U.S.
Question 7: For the Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral, Postdoctoral, Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships and Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowships, does it help to establish contact with potential U.S. host institutions at the time of application? Is it mandatory?
Answer: You will be affiliated to only one U.S. host institution for the entire duration of your grant. USIEF strongly recommends applicants to identify institutions with which they wish to be affiliated and to correspond, in advance, with potential host institutions. If you have secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, please include it as a part of your application. It is not mandatory but highly preferred.